In this tutorial we’ll show you how to place an RSS feed inside a block. You can then display that RSS feed anywhere around your theme. We don’t need any extra modules this week as we’ll be using the core Aggregator Module:
Setting up the Aggregator Module
First of all, we’re going to set up the Aggregator module so that it can handle the RSS feeds for us.
- Step 1: Go to Administer >> Site building >> Modules. Check the box next to “Aggregator” and click Save Configuration.
- Step 2: Go to Administer >> click “By module” at the top.
- Step 3: Find the “Aggregator” area right at the top and then click on “Feed aggregator”:
- Step 4: Click “Add Feed” along the top and enter the address of your RSS feed:
- Step 5: Click “Save” and then “update items”. That will load the latest articles from your RSS feed.
Placing the RSS Feed in a Block
Now that Aggregator is handling the RSS feeds for us, we’ll go and place it into a block on our site:
- Step 6: Go to Administer >> Site building >> Blocks. Scroll down to find the block with the same name as the feed your created in Step 4. Aggregator has automatically created this for you.
- Step 7: More than likely, you will need to click “Configure” next to the block and choose a new title. Aggregator creates a default title of “[feed name] feed latest items”.
- Step 8: Publish the block and check to see how it looks on your site: