Six years ago, I quit teaching and became a full time web designer.
At that point I had three things to my name:
- An old iBook laptop with more broken keys than working keys.
- Two months of summer holiday pay from my last teaching job.
- A spare bedroom to use as an office. Continue reading
Alledia.com had a really great six year run. But, I’ve moved everything over to SteveBurge.com. I moved for several reasons:
1) Urgency. OSTraining traffic is going up, up, up. Visitor numbers are way, way higher than this time last year. I need to move as many sites off that server as possible.
2) Business. “Alledia” isn’t really me any more. It’s a company and one that has very little to do with open source. Alledia Inc. runs AppalachianTrail.com, LakeLanier.com and LakeAllatoona.com. For practical reasons related to #1, we couldn’t use Alledia.com, but the business is now at Alledia.net.
3) A Fresh Start. The Alledia.com old site was full of 10 years of accumulated junk. It dated back to a Mambo installation from 2003 and had been migrated through a couple of domains and Joomla versions until reaching Alledia.com where it grew and mutated for six more years. It was a mess.
4) Clarity. Finally, the purpose of both sites is a lot clearer now:
- Alledia.net can fully represent the Alledia business.
- SteveBurge.com can fully represent me and my ramblings.
Over time I’ll try to move as many of my usernames as possible from alledia to steveburge. This site is a big first step.
Welcome to my new digs!
Housekeeping note: All the old content and comments are here. The URLs are also the same, so all incoming links should still work.
Remember that new product mentioned on the blog at the beginning of May?
I’m delighted to say that things are coming along great.
The name of the product is Admincredible and I know you’re going to love it.
We’ve absolutely loved building it.
In building Admincredible, I’ve had the chance work with a lot of people that I’ve long admired. TJ and Eddie from Joomlashack are helping me bring the product to fruition. Fotis, Chiara and the Nuevvo team are doing the design work. We’ve got some great coders on the project too.
Visit Admincredible.com to sign up and become one of the very first to know when we launch.
You can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
Tonight at the Joomla User Group in Atlanta I’ll be giving the first public peek inside our new business.
Details of how to attend are here: http://www.meetup.com/atlantajoomla/
I’m really excited about this project:
- It involves a lot of great Joomla people that I’ve met over the years. Some of them I’ve been hoping to work with for a long time.
- It scratches my own itch. OSTraining is my main business and that is designed to scratch other peoples itches. Even if this side-project completely flops commercially, I’ll still use it myself.
- Intially it will be a Joomla project, but I hope it will end up serving a much wider audience.