I’m from England, started working in 2000, and came to the USA in 2004. Most of my career has been in education, open source software, or a combination of the two.
My current projects
Here’s a list of my current projects. At the moment, I spend the majority of the time working in WordPress. We have three key business under the Ramble Ventures name:
- PublishPress: A suite of WordPress publishing plugins to help manage your content.
- TaxoPress: Over 80,000 users trust TaxoPress as the plugin to organize their WordPress content.
- MetaSlider: The most popular slideshow plugin for WordPress. This plugin is active on over 700,000 sites.
I’m also working on, or involved in, several other projects:
- Logtivity: A logging service that helps you understand exactly what’s happening on your WordPress site.
- Joomlashack: It’s a cornerstone of the Joomla community that has been selling extensions since 2006.
- Watchful: A site management service for WordPress and Joomla.
- KinshiPress: A blog where I write and sometimes podcast about interesting stories for WordPress publishers.
My previous projects
Here are some highlights of many previous open source projects:
- OSTraining.com: This was my main business for around ten years. We taught people to use open source software. Founded in 2010 and sold in 2018.
- EmbedPress: This was an early effort to build a WordPress plugin. Founded in 2017 and sold in 2020.
- DrupalCon training: For 10 years, we ran training at major Drupal events around the world.
- Admincredible: This was my attempt to build a website management platform. Founded in 2011 and closed in 2013.
I’ve always had an interest in journalism, and ran a couple of local news sites while living in Georgia:
- AppalachianTrail.com: This was a tourism website for the famous hiking trail. Purchased in 2011 and sold in 2017.
- LakeLanier.com: This was a tourism website for North Georgia. Purchased in 2008 and sold in 2018.
Early in my career, I was in education, and would probably still be there if the money was better:
- School Teacher: I spent several years as a teacher, first in Fukuoka, Japan, then in Fukushima, Japan, and then in Gainesville, Georgia in the USA.
- Post-graduate Degree: I earned a masters degree in Japanese history, specializing in interactions between Japan and China.