One of the most famous blogging experts is Brain Clark on Copyblogger. He recently wrote a post about the “Click Here problem”.
He quotes research that shows how often people click on different kinds of link:
- “Click to continue”: 8.53%
- “Continue to article”: 3.3%
- “Read more”: 1.8%
The main problem is that “Read More” doesn’t tell people what to do or what they’ll be reading about. Well, you can probably guess which of these options Joomla uses by default.
Fortunately, it is possible to make Joomla’s Read More more descriptive and useful.
Here’s how you do it:
- Go to the administrator area of your site and Content >> Article Manager.
- In the parameters of your article, under ‘Parameters(Advanced)’, enter the text you would like the article to use for the Read More link. If you leave this field blank, Joomla will use the default “Read More”.
- This is how it will look on the front end of your site:
If you don’t want to do this yourself for every article, both sh404SEF and SEF Advance are components that will optimize your URLs and also insert the article title into the read more link. Finally, if you’re not using either of those, click here to find a code hack available to insert the title automatically (notice what we did? ).