After the big chart earlier this week comparing the Search Engine Friendly URL Components for Joomla, I wanted to take a similar approach and compare the SEO features of Joomla 1.0 and 1.5.
What’s On the Chart?
On the chart is a rundown of all the key on-page SEO factors. We can’t help you when it comes to building links or writing articles people want to read, but we can advise on the technical stuff.
Who May Find This Useful
Hopefully this chart will help people who:
- are thinking about upgrading to 1.5
- want an easy reference chart for SEO improvements in 1.0 or 1.5
The Small Print
- The factors are heavily based on SEOMoz’s Google Search Engine Ranking Factors because it does a good job of combining the wisdom of many experts.
- The list is more-or-less in the order of importance given by the SEOMoz team. Page titles are much important than duplicate content for example.
- The Joomla 1.0 codebase has been around for at least 3/4 years, whereas 1.5 is still Release Candidate. Of course it has less available extensions.
- Some important on-page SEO factors have been left out, notable keywords in body text, bold print and h2 or h3 titles. This is because they can just be done with any WYSIWYG editor.
- I’m sure that plugins will emerge to cover all the current holes in 1.5. Give it time. However, if SEO is really important to you and thinking that you should wait before using 1.5 … you’re right.