We’ve had a 24-hour make-over on Alledia. Throughout today we’re using the SimSun font for all headlines on the site.
However, one thing you need to do is create a special Flash file to hold your font. In this quick tutorial we’ll show you how to use sIFR on your Joomla site in 8 easy steps:
Simple Instructions to Create Cool Font Headings in Joomla
Making the Font Work with sIFR
- Download the OpensIFRr release from Sourcforge. Unfortunately, its only available for Macs currently. Using Windows is possible, but you’ll need a copy of Flash and these instructions.
- Use OpensIFRr to open your font. It needs to be a True Type Font. You’ll know if it is because the file extension is .ttf.
- Create a .swf file using OpensIFRr. It has a habit of crashing sometimes. If it does, try and convert nearly all of the characters, but don’t check the "all" option.
- Upload your new .swf file to the mambots/system folder.
Making sIFR Work with Joomla
- Download the sIFR plugin from Joomla-addons.org.
- Install it and add the code to the bottom of your template.
- Change the code to reflect the color of your headlines and the name of your .swf file.
- Voila! Your component and content headings will now show in a snazzy new font.
Which browsers does this work with?
About the same as the number percentage as Flash itself – around 90%. PC IE 5+, Safari, Firefox, Opera 7+, Omniweb, and even Konqueror.