This tutorial will show you how to create a list of related articles for your Joomla website.
You can see an example on the right-hand side of this site in the “Related Articles” module. Joomla is analysing the keywords in the current article and automatically listing other articles that have the most matching keywords. Related articles lists are:
- … good for Search Engine Optimization because the search engines can find accurate and descriptive links to other pages on your site.
- … good for your users because they can find other articles similar to the one they’re already reading … which is good for you because they may stay on your site longer
In order to create our list, we’re going to need three extensions: a component, a module and a plugin. Let’s get them up and running on our Joomla site:
- Step 1: Click here to download the latest version of the “FJ Related” component.
- Step 2: Click here to download the latest version of the “FJ Related Articles Plus” module.
- Step 3: Click here to download the latest version of the “Add Keywords” plugin.
- Step 4: Go to the administrator area of your site, Extensions >> Install / Uninstall and upload all three.
- Step 5: Go to Extensions >> Plugin Manager and enable the “System – Add Keywords” plugin.
- Step 6: Go to Extensions >> Module Manager and enable the “Related Articles” module.
Once you’ve followed those six steps, your related articles list should start working.
A note of caution: the “Add Keywords” plugin will automatically generate keywords for all your articles. You don’t have to do anything. However, to reduce the amount of work your site has to do, it may not create the keywords automatically. Have patience and the links will show reasonably quickly.