What Does This Tool Do?
It shows if your Joomla site has indexing problems in any of three major search engines: Google, Yahoo and MSN.
Part 1: Add these two numbers:
- Administrator > Content > All Content Items > At the bottom of the page
- Administrator > Content > Static Content Manager > At the bottom of the page
Part 2: Add these two numbers:
- Administrator > Content > Section Manager > At the bottom of the page
- Administrator > Content > Category Manager > At the bottom of the page
Part 3: Add the pages on your site that are useful to visitors. Examples are:
- Forum Posts
- Documents available to download
Understanding the Results
- A good result will show green. This means the search engine has indexed between 70% and 130% of your pages.
- A bad result will show red. This means the search engine has indexed too many or too few of your pages.
What can you do to improve if I have too few pages?
- More incoming links. Often sites that have few indexed pages are new or have very few incoming links.
- More internal links. Try and link more between articles on your site. One easy way to do this is with the Simply Links component.
What can you do to improve if I have too many pages?
- Go to the search engines where your results are bad and use this search … site:mydomain.com
- Look for pages that are of low quality. Examples include:
- PDF pages (duplicate content – the text is the same as the original article)
- User profile pages (repetitive and often little information)
- Calendar pages (often 1000s of empty days are indexed)
- Photo pages (little or no text)
- Use robots.txt to remove the low quality pages. A guide to using robots.txt is here.
If you are an SEO Club member and have any questions about the tool or its results, please post on the club forum.