- Swift is open source, from Apple.
- HHVM is open source, from Facebook.
- Android is open source, from Google.
- Bootstrap is open source, from Twitter.
- .Net is open source from Microsoft.
- Today’s iOS9 launch shows what incredible power a single company has over so many independent publishers. Apple would love to push us into reading via the News App (built on open source!) using Webkit (built on open source!).
- Facebook is trying to get publishers to write directly for their Pages platform (built on open source!), rather than on the independent web.
- Android is the world’s largest mobile platform (built on open source!), but have you seen what happens to phone manufacturers who don’t play by Google’s rules?
Facebook … takes pains to argue there’s nothing proprietary about what it’s doing, and that it is using the same code that Web publishers already use to put out its Instant Articles. In Facebook engineer-speak, Instant Articles are “defined in an open format.”
Last updated on Sep 23, 2015 06:15 am