During the last few weeks I’ve been working on taking our Joomla training classes online and we’ve been sending out a free weekly newsletter with Joomla tips and tricks. Last week, I decided to spend some time answering two really common questions:
- “What happens if someone makes a mistake in an article? How can we roll back to a previous version?”
- “We have a legal requirement to track the articles that appear on our website – how do we do that?”
The answer is “versioning” and there’s quite a few solutions out there. Over the last few weeks I’ve tried all the available versioning extensions available for Joomla and one stood head and shoulders above the others. Its free, its easy and its called “Content Revision”. Here’s how to set it up:
- Step 1: Visit Galore.co.za and scroll down to “Galore Content Revision”.
- Step 2: For Joomla 1.0, download that version. For Joomla 1.5 you’ll need to download the component and also the plugin.
- Step 3: In the administration area of your Joomla site, go to Extensions >> Install / Uninstall and upload the files. If you’re using Joomla 1.5, go to Extensions >> Plugin Manager and make sure the plugin is published.
- Step 4: Go to Content >> Article Manager and edit an article.
- Step 5: Go to Components >> Content Revision >> List New Changes. The change you just made should appear in the list.
- Step 6: To see the changes, click on the number in the “CR ID” column. You’ll be able to see the “Before” and “After” Versions.
- Step 7: If you want to roll back to the previous version, make sure you are on the “Before Save” tab and click the green, circular arrows in the top-right corner.
Sign Up For Free Joomla Tutorials
More information about the Joomla newsletter is available here